martes, 27 de octubre de 2015

Present Continuous

The Present Continuous





Simple Present
Present Progressive
infinitive
(3rd person singular: infinitive + 's')
I speak
you speak
he / she / it speaks
we speak
they speak
form of 'be' and verb + ing
 
I am speaking
you are speaking
he / she / it is speaking
we are speaking
they are speaking
Exceptions
Exceptions when adding 's' :
  • For can, may, might, must, do not add s.
Example: he can, she may, it must
  • After o, ch, sh or s, add es.
Example: do - he does, wash - she washes
  • After a consonant, the final consonant y becomes ie. (but: not after a vowel)
Example: worry - he worries
but: play - he plays
Exceptions when adding 'ing' :
  • Silent e is dropped. (but: does not apply for -ee)
Example: come - coming
but: agree - agreeing
  • After a short, stressed vowel, the final consonant is doubled.
Example: sit - sitting
  • After a vowel, the final consonant l is doubled in British English (but not in American English).
Example: travel - travelling (British English)
but: traveling (American English)
  • Final ie becomes y.
Example: lie - lying

Use
In general or right now?

Do you want to express that something happens in general or that something is happening right now?

Simple Present
Present Progressive
in general (regularly, often, never)
Colin plays football every Tuesday.
present actions happening one after another
First Colin plays football, then he watches TV.
right now
Look! Colin is playing football now.
also for several actions happening at the same time
Colin is playing football and Anne is watching.
Signal words
  • always
  • every ...
  • often
  • normally
  • usually
  • sometimes
  • seldom
  • never
  • first
  • then
  • at the moment
  • at this moment
  • today
  • now
  • right now
  • Listen!
  • Look!
Note: The following verbs are usually only used in Simple Present:
be, have, hear, know, like, love, see, smell, think, want

Timetable / Schedule or arrangement?

Do you want to express that something is arranged for the near future? Or do you refer to a time set by a timetable or schedule?

Simple Present
Present Progressive
action set by a timetable or schedule
The film starts at 8 pm.
arrangement for the near future
I am going to the cinema tonight.

Daily routine or just for a limited period of time?
Do you want to talk about a daily routine? Or do you want to emphasis that something is only going on for a limited (rather short) period of time?

Simple Present
Present Progressive
daily routine
Bob works in a restaurant.
only for a limited period of time (does not have to happen directly at the moment of speaking)
Jenny is working in a restaurant this week.
Certain Verbs
The following verbs are usually only used in Simple Present (not in the progressive form).
  • state: be, cost, fit, mean, suit
·         ·  Example: We are on holiday.
·         ·  possession: belong, have
·         Example: Sam has a cat.
·         ·  senses: feel, hear, see, smell, taste, touch
·         Example: He feels the cold.
·         ·  feelings: hate, hope, like, love, prefer, regret, want, wish
·         Example: Jane loves pizza.
·         ·  brain work: believe, know, think, understand
·         Example: I believe you.
·         ·  Introductory clauses for direct speech: answer, ask, reply, say
·         Example: “I am watching TV,“ he says.
Practice
Write the verbs in Present Progressive.
  1. speak - I
  2. jump - you
  3. bake - she
  4. play - they
  5. run - we
Write the verbs in Simple Present, 3rd person singular.
  1. be - it
  2. have - he
  3. eat - she
  4. can - he
  5. wash - she
Use
When to use which tense?
  1. For actions happening regularly, often or never, we use
2.  For actions happening now, we use

3. The verbs 'be', 'have', 'like' and 'want' are normally only used in

4. The signal word 'usually' indicates that we have to use

5.        The signal word 'now' indicates that we have to use

Positive sentences
Complete the sentences. Use Simple Present or Present Progressive.
  1. Look! They (leave) the house.
  2. Brian (cycle) 30 km every day.
  3. Samantha (do) her homework at the moment.
  4. My parents (shop) right now.
  5. He usually (get up) early in the morning.
Negative sentences
Complete the sentences. Use Simple Present or Present Progressive.
  1. You (see / not) her every day.
  2. The baby (sleep / not) at the moment.
  3. I (read / not) a book now.
  4. We (go / not) to school on Sundays.
  5. He (watch / not) the news every day.
Question
Complete the sentences. Use Simple Present or Present Progressive.
  1. (you / go) on holiday by plane sometimes?
  2. (they / play) computer games every day?
  3. (she / eat) dinner at the moment?
  4. What (they / do) right now?
  5. (she / visit) her grandma very often?
Text
Use the (Simple Present o the Present Progressive) to complete.
  1. Look! Jenny (go) to school.
  2. On her back, Jenny (carry) her school bag.
  3. The school bag (be) very heavy
  4. Normally, Jenny (wear) black shoes, but today she (wear) red wellies.
  5. And look, she (wear) a raincoat because it (rain) outside.
  6. Jenny (not / want) to get wet.
 Homework

Go to this link to practice the present continuous.


Rules for spelling the present continuous forms:


29 comentarios:

  1. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Every day I get up at 5am. Today I am doing homework from college. I always have tasks and jobs to do because I am taking many courses this semester. Right now I'm eating breakfast. I usually go to my home on weekends to visit my family. But now I think that I can not go home until the end of the semester.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Every day I usually wake up at 6 a.m. Today I went to swim as I always do on Mondays. Right now I am doing my English homework and listening to the radio, I also have to study for an exam I have nest week. Now I am going to start a project and hopefully go to sleep a little earlier today.
    -Ronald Meneses

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. I every day eat my breakfast at home. But today I not eating it at home because I woke up late. Usually I sleep in the afternoon but right now I am doing the english homework and studying math. When I study or make any homework I always listen music. Now I am listening music. Jorge Camacho Herrera

    ResponderEliminar
  8. I usually go to volleyball practice at 7 p.m., but today I can't because I have a lot of homeworks. Right now I have to do an essay for a seminary, but I'm taking a break to do my english homework. I always think that I'm going to sleep really late doing homeworks... The worst of being in college is that I have to wake up too early every day. Now my break is over, so I have to continue doing the essay.

    ResponderEliminar
  9. I usually have a lot of homework. For example, right now I'm doing my English homework. But today I'm studying too because I have many projects and exams. Now, I'm talking with a friend about life. I tell him that every day I wake up at 4 o'clock and that I always put the alarm the night before.

    ResponderEliminar
  10. I usually visit my family on weekends,but this weekend i cant. Today im studying because the next monday have a exam. Now im thinking so much because im going to sleep late doing homeworks, projects.Today i have a very hard day .

    ResponderEliminar
  11. I always get up early, but today i slept late because usually i get home early, but yesterday arrives at 12 pm.I'm having breakfast now.I exercise every day so nomw I'll run.

    ResponderEliminar
  12. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  13. Everyday I wake up early because I to go to classes. Today was a pretty good day, I did a lot of things and was very productive. For example, today I was doing kite flying in one of my classes. Right now I am just finishing my english homework and listening to music. Often, I go to bed very late, but today I am going pretty early to bed, because I started working on my homework very early. Tomorrow I am going to present and idea for a TV show in front of my classmates and I hope they like it.

    ResponderEliminar
  14. Yossy Martínez
    Hi !! Today I am going to share with you, some activities that I do everyday. I almost always wake up before that the alarm sounds, but I can not get up easily. I sometimes eat the brakfast, but I always prepare a snack to take. I usually cook my launch, because I like to eat at home. The weekends are special to me, because I never get up early and I normally wish to cook difficult dishes. Also I often go to walk and I see the sky because I like to appreciate of the nature. Then I can say that I try to enjoy my weekend after of a hard week.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Yossy. You need to use also the present continuous.
      Well done!

      Eliminar
  15. John always rides his bike to school. But he is talking the subway today, because one tire is flat.
    When he arrives to the house he usually does his homework after lunch. Then he watches T.V. However, he is playing Xbox right now.
    Before, he goes to school, he calls her sister in U.S.A every day . But, he is talking with his friend now.

    ResponderEliminar
  16. I'm sitting in the living too at my new desk. It's a huge room with a great view of the garden. The spring flowers are blooming and everything is really beautiful

    ResponderEliminar
  17. Yesterday I had lunch with my grandmother. We had a very nice time. While we were eating, she shared some of her stories with me. Then, we went for a walk, and while we were walking she asked my about how my studies were going. We were talking about a lot of different stuff during our walk, but we had to go back quickly because it was raining!

    ResponderEliminar